I’ve had a few disasters, downside of trying new things, some work, some don’t, so decided to stick with my tried and trusted mix, but see if I can get cells with more than one colour deliberately, I’ve had it happen accidentally, but wondered if I could influence the process.
Did a small one first, this is 4 x 4 inches
Then I moved to a larger canvas, 6 x 18 ins I think. I’m pleased with this one but the second didn’t come right, and I swiped too many times, making the colours join and just become too orange, no contrast . One for painting over later 😉 There’s a video of this one at the end of this post. Sorry, you get a bit of me upside down at the end, didn’t switch tablet off properly….oops! Here;s the fails, I tried swiping with pink, didn’t like the result but that could just be my colour choices. I swiped with matallic blue on one last week and liked that.
I’m still thinking over this one, whether to keep or repaint. Its not what I was after but I quite like the subtle effects and soft colours. Its another 6 x 18 in canvas
I saw Dulux matt white was on offer on Amazon – or maybe just a mistake and I got lucky – at £10 for five litres. Given the W&N or R&L artists white i usually use is around £10 -14 for 500 ml that would make a great saving, especially the way I go through paints….I figured if it didn’t work i’d have paint ready next time we need to decorate.
I wanted to see if it gave the same kind of results. TBH this pic Nathan (grandson no 3) and I did came out pretty horrible but the paint was fine, and this morning looks the same as any with artists white. Rather than keep opening a big tub though and risking it drying, plus getting dirt in I’m planning to pour some into a smaller tub. In fact I might use an old floetrol container and premix to the right consistency ready to paint. That would save time and be handy for those times when i find i’m a tiny bit too short of paint and do a rapid quick mix to finish!
Not happy with the first pic I tried again later last night and this one is much better. I can see the paint that isn’t yet dry has a yellow/cream tint but the dry areas don#t show it and the earlier one is fine so I think that’s just a quirk that won’t show in final pic.
I was originally aiming for negative image in the video but as usual things went wrong. I mixed up van dyke brown, orange, burnt sienna and some gold mica and the white of course but I’d too much colour and Nathan didn’t like the white area so we tilted, added, swiped and finally ran a sheet of acetate over the whole thing. That’s not on the video, did it after filming….NB: Both are pre-used and gessoed canvasses. I hate waste. The brown one with probably get reused again!
I am trying to cut down video size, but somehow seem to be failing so far….I’ll try harder, promise, til then there’s always FF button 😉
Today’s plan is sunflowers. I’ve some fab ones in the kitchen, and I wondered if I could paint them but in a kind of abstract way with this pouring/blowing method of paint manipulation. I like a challenge!
Edit: this took a long while to dry, and yesterday I noticed lots of cracking. that’s only happened to me before when i used PVA glue instead of floetrol. It may be that I need more floetrol, it may be that its housepaint instead of my usual artists white or – and I think this is the cause – it may be that the white was too thick, I do have issues with consistency and looking at vid and remembering it was quite thick, didn’t really flow well. I’ve got a couple of others drying that have the housepaint white and a floetrol ratio same as this, but where paint is thinner so when they dry that should tell me if I’m right and its that paint was too thick, or if its actually the lower floetrol. I might try two small ones, just pour the white as a thin and thick mix and see how they dry. I think that would show me a definite cause.
Edit 2: Tried thinner paint in case paint was too thick, tried adding PVA as some discussions suggest, but I still get cracking, though a different cracking with the PVA, kind of wider, more like a separation of paint than a crack. I’m going to use what I’ve premixed but think I’ll stick to artists white, and use the dulux as a gesso, or for the house walls!
I’ve been playing with trying to video as I’m painting, and uploading to youtube as wordpress free site doesn’t support direct uploads.
This is a quick one showing what happened with a resin coat on an artwork I really like. I thought the resin would really enhance it but its full of tiny holes. Air bubbles I guess. Its a love hate thing, I love the look of resin finish, but hate the way its so easy to mess up. The cure time for this is only a few mins so I had to work quickly. I’ve had best results with pebeo, but that stuff costs so I’m trying a cheaper marine resin, which is a 1 part hardener to 50 parts resin so accuracy is essential. I’ve been weighing it though and now wonder if its a by volume percentage so need to read again to check. that might account for the ripples I have in the finish of the small ones, and two a did a couple of weeks back, compared to the lovely smooth glass like pebeo. My gran always said “cheap always comes dear in the end” and TBH I’m wondering if I just need to save resin for the favourites and suck up the extra cost.
I’ve also been experimenting with argon oil, hair conditioner and handcream in my quest for Big cells. I did go back to my original silicon too as got some good cells with that but I’d forgotten how it affected the paint, making surface uneven and leaving holes in pics every now and then which is why I stopped. I’ll show pics of those when dry. Suffice to say none were a great sucess, so I’m about to order dimethicone…….
I also had a good day gessoing lots of old canvases, pics I don’t like any more so I’ve a lovely batch ready for painting. Did a couple of big MDF bits I had lying round too.