I’ve been having fun playing and run out of 10 x 8in canvas, but I love working big so took out a 40 x 60 cm one ( 16 x 24 ins). these are so much fun but tale loads of paint and ages to dry, depending on weather of course. Even the tinies took a while with all that rain last week. Here’s the result wet…and I was very very careful to keep it level and not knock it, checked back several times 🙂
I mixed up lots of colours, white, black, turquoise, cerulean, sienna, pthlalo blue, primary red (that’s really a pinkish red rather than the pillar box red I’d expect) bright red – that’s a scarlet one, yellow and mica powder mixes of a pink and blue that are both metallic. I mixed the micas with just floetrol and alchohol, I found adding them into paint just gets them lost instead of making the paint a metallic shade. I didn’t use any silicon, I’m trying to stay away from it, sometimes its fine others it makes the surface uneven and I get “holes” in paint that irritates me….
I used three cake cutters, layered the paints in reverse density til pots full and then used rest of colours to fill in round edges. I had mixed extra white for this purpose. The paint kept seeping out of the pots as they filled but I just ignored that 😉
Looks like nothing doesn’t it – but all will come right – honest!
Its getting there. I was hoping not to tilt too much to keep the cells but ended up tilting quite a bit. I’d left the micas til last so once canvas covered I swirled them over, but they dominated too much so I used a stick to pull them around and through colours and pulled some colours though the micas. As they dried they got more transparent, and also some colours popped through them. I don’t know anything about densities for them so it was all a bit of suck-it-and-see process. I like it though, keep seeing little faces as it dried, some stayed, some got lost. there two are gone but were fun when I saw them, scary skull and crazy owl. I love the way there are cells, within cells and layers of colour in lots of them.
You can see how the mica spreads and has become transparent. I guess if I’d used less mica to floetrol it would have been more transparent, it was just guess work really. I like it. I’ll tuck that first one underneath so you can see how its changed.
the colours are less vibrant but that always happens as they dry, varnishing will bring that back. I’d really like to resin this one but…it’d take loads, and I’m not confident I wouldn’t cock it up 😉 so for now it’ll probably be the polycryl varnish i’m using, though I have just got this one, so might try that….
Today I’m going to paint…a rainbow. had the idea yesterday, layered the colours with black in between so I can swipe, tried it on a 3 x 3 in canvas but lost the edge colours. This time I’m going to try swiping each colour individually too, leaving more on edges so hopefully colours stay clean and separate and I don’t lose the end two…Pics tomorrow, or thurs. If it doesn’t go completely wrong of course….
I’m using paints and medium by the bucket load it feels, done two 1lts of floetrol, and halfway down the 2.5 litre tub….I really need to start selling some to pay for more stuff! I’ve got around 40 or so canvasses finished and stacked in studio. Money for new paints and more space in the shed would be great! I keep looking at new houses with an eye as to where I’ll be able to paint. Did see one with a fab garage with windows, water and electric and nice painted concrete floor. Have to sell this one first though.
Lucky I don’t smoke or drink, and now there’s not horse bills either so that helps. Its not a cheap hobby but a fun one. I know people do it using cheap paints, house paints and glue or even washing up liquid, but I’m aiming at selling some eventually so want to ensure the paints don’t flake, fade or fall off over time. I’ve always been aware of the cheap paint v longevity argument, it doesn’t bother many artists, but for me its important so I have to try to fund it some way.