Busy week having lots of fun. Did some painting with grandkids. Spent some trying to get those elusive large cells, did some negative painting, some experimenting with new additives, and a couple more with house-paint. And tried a few different ideas.
I’m giving up on house-paint, I just can’t make it work for me…others use it with great results but for me whether with just water, pva, floetrol or a mix of all it, whether i use it thick or thin, satin or emulsion, it either cracks or the paints separate so I’m sticking to artists acrylics.
Tried for some negative space works, as usual I added too much colour. But like the results of the first one even though it wasn’t what i was after. Second will get a repaint probably.
Trying for some nice bright cells. I think these were the ones I used coconut oil with, definitely did on the one I collaborated with Nathan, purple one.
I didn’t like the first one below, so swiped it – and swiped a couple more times and ended up with the next pic. Too bland for me, so one to paint over. wished I’d left it as it was 😉
Edit: Sadly the paint WAS too thick and this cracked badly on drying. I’ve a couple of others still drying where I used the housepaint but much thinner and so far they look OK. I should have thought when the colours didn’t “run” into the white, creating shapes but kind of sat there. Still, learning curve. I have LOTS of those!!
I wanted to paint a sunflower so took one with me to play with in my shed. Dulux housepaint for white, plus a lemon and a cad yellow, a green i mixed to get shade i wanted – added more yellow and white for stem and a van dyke brown. Colours were R&L, and Shminke -oh and some gold mica, i’m all about the sparkle. I was experimenting with less floetrol and more water but forgot the alchohol so it was two different things, i like to only change one at a time. I used about 20% floetrol to paint then thinned with water. added a couple drops silicon (treadmill) to colours only. tiny dirty pour for the brown centre, then tipped round a dirty pour yellow mix, and blew petals with a straw, then pulled out some of the edges with a bamboo skewer to create shapes. poured green for leaves and did the same, then lightened it and poured stem, swiped bits and pulled bits for shape.
It worked really well, even though I forgot to add alcohol….of course was it a one off or can i do it again. well, I want to try roses, foxgloves, sunflowers before being certain of that! I love flower paintings, and am having fun with this.
so…more flowers tomorrow or more on the experiments list??
Edit: this took a long while to dry, and yesterday I noticed lots of cracking. thats only happened to me before when i used PVA glue instead of floetrol. It may be that I need more floetrol, it may be that its housepaint instead of my usual artists white or – and I think this is the cause – it may be that the white was too thick, I do have issues with consistency and looking at vid and remembering it was quite thick, did’nt really flow well. I’ve got a couple of others drying that have the housepaint white and a floetrol ratio same as this, but where paint is thinner so when they dry that should tell me if I’m right and its that paint was too thick, or if its actually the lower floetrol. I might try two small ones, just pour the white as a thin and thick mix and see how they dry. I think that would show me a definite cause.
you know how it is, an idea springs out and you have to try it. Sunday morning I’d a couple to varnish and got an idea while I was there…Wet image first, then 24 hours later.
I lost most of the sienna brown there but finally got some large cells that stayed after drying. Weird as I do the same thing another time and comes out completely different. Also tries some on round card, round canvas is too expensive to play around with 😦 but I wondered if the round shape might help with keeping it how I intend…well, that’s always possible 😉 . I used a straw to blow paint around on these, first time I tried it. I like the second one best. Then one of the granddaughters came over, she’s nine and loves this way of painting so we had to do some when she saw the new turquoise paint I’d bought, one of her fav colours. She got a little carried away with sprinkles, (she shares my glitter addiction!) gold, silver and blue for her, but its her painting and she loves it. we used straws again, after adding colours individually to canvas.
we used the same colours, yellow, turquoise, a dark turquoise green, and a mid green we mixed from dk blue and yellow.
Monday I really wasn’t going to paint….had gardening planned but I had an idea. Wasn’t really the sucess I wanted, so I played more and messed up even more 😉 but hey, I can paint over once its dry and I now know that idea won’t work. Well, that way anyway…
I swiped this, but wasn’t really happy with it so pulled up and down to create shapes….and I like that even less! I do like the colours together though
I hate waste and I had some colours left and a bit of sundays green and yellows were still ok, Not much white but quite a bit of driops collected off the two above so poured it over a round board and actually I like this one! even enough for a tiny 3 x 3 in canvas which was looking good til i dropped it. Oops!