experiments with additives and new paints.

First off in the quest for big cells, and lacking dimethicone ( its on the way!) I tried what I’ve seen others use, hair conditioner. I also tried some argon oil – and some hand cream with the dimethicone in… and the last one is Cyclomethicone, the first oil I tired after spray silicon. It works but for me sometimes there are thin patches in paint, sometimes showing canvas, plus it needs cleaning off before varnish as you can see it on the surface of the paint when dry.

argon oil
hair conditioner
hand cream, you can see lumps of hand cream that wouldn’t dissolve on the painting
Cyclomethicone Liquid – makes cells but I find it leaves “holes” and thin patches in paint
Cyclomethicone Liquid – you can see the uneven surface of the dry painting.

I’ve got a video below of the hair conditioner and argon oils process but I need to work on lighting, you can’t see the actual painting as well as I’d like.

I also bought some new metallic paints and I should be uploading a video of those tomorrow or friday. Sadly the memory on tablet for that ran out just about a minute before the end…more for me to learn to check!

The dry painting is below

Once its varnished the shine comes back and the metallics have a subtle gleam. This is the kind of painting I want resin for but so far I’m still working on getting it right.
Here’s one that had pin holes in coat one, coat two has ripples on surface and has slipped back from edges, don’t know why, I’d checked that and they were covered but…lets see what coat three brings once its dry enough. This resin ( the cheaper marine resin) seems to have a slight yellow tint, didn’t show on ones that were all colour but does on this one with white. I think TBH maybe i need to stick with Pebeo, I’ve had best results with that and the finish is exactly what i want, and just suck up the cost. Keep it for any real favourites.