Just a quick video, i didn’t intend to record but then part way through thought it might be interesting to see a bit of how it happened, so quickly picked up my phone. Of course that meant i couldn’t show how i tipped it as I was one handed but you get the idea of how it was created at least.
What i wanted was those lovely drip effects you get where paint drips slowly off the edge of a painting. Some of those are so gorgeous.
I suspended my paint above an old work, and let it drip through a hole in the base. I had a little too much black I think, it does tend to take over, but as I was using string colours, a dioxazine purple and a viridian type green I thought it would be OK. I also used gold and white. I didn’t achieve what I wanted but after tipping I’m happy with the result.
I’ll do this again, have played with this effect before and though each time I never get the effect I aim for I have fin and get some interesting works….BTW its eldest granddaughter who’s the pot noodle fan and keeps me supplied. I also purloined a load of plastic cups from a recent christening. #nothingwasted 😉
Finished painting, its about 10 x 16 in i think.
Seen those lovely angel wings type pours? Yep, so have I and I wanted to try after watching Loads of videos….Sadly it wasn’t a success, but did my usual tinkering, swiping and adding and ended up with something entirely different but which I’m happy with. when I know a painting is a fail I like to try “what if?” so ill add stuff, swipe, blow, spray – anything to change the painting knowing it doesn’t matter what happens as i can’t make it worse. Its a great way to try out new ideas without worrying about results.
I’ve not yet found the right sort of strainer, I tried the one from my sink first, a stainless steel one with slots and a bit that sticks out of base. wasn’t a great success, colours didn’t stay separate, and it looks a little murky to me. .
Then i bought one light a tea strainer with holes not slots. This time I poured colours individually. first pic I liked but the colours seemed slow to run out the holes ( they are small) so for the second i thinned paints a bit more. Thicker was best though 😉
I’ve another strainer on the way so more experiments to come 😉 Thicker and colours poured individually seems best for me. these are wet pics, so will change slightly in colour and tone as they dry. And hopefully haven’t run to one side. I do use level on canvas before starting but its easy to be a tiny bit out, or knock table esp as I use a wheelchair…
I’ve a few more that have become backgrounds for new paintings. I’ll show them next time 😉 As usual some work, others not so well….
Out to breakfast with some friends recently I noticed that toddler Livvy had a fruit shoot drink and…it had an interesting top, so I took it when she finished. Its got little holes in for those of you who don’t have toddler relatives or friends with kids….
I wonder how many of us look at everyday items and rubbish with a view as to how we can use them for art! My shed is full of potentially useful items AKA known to non artists as junk.
I thought I’d pour through the top and see what happened. I made colours runnier than usual as the holes are tiny, and poured colours separately. I tried to rest the top on the canvas on a piece of sponge, as i wanted it a little above canvas, but that didn’t work so I just held it in place.
I like the effect but next time will try thicker paints, and maybe keep the shape a little better. I’m pleased with the painting though, its on a 6x6in canvas. I added black to corners rather than tilt to cover and lose shape. I might try that with bigger ones when i do a dirty pour – I always lose any cells when i tilt to cover corners…another new thing for me to play with! I’ve so many ideas I just don’t have the time or the money – especially the money 😉 to try them all. I have an ongoing list of ideas and it seems as i cross one off I add two more. I could never get bored with this way of painting.
I’ve also been playing with other ideas, and pouring on wood cut outs to try to imitate ceramics.
I wanted to do a ring style pour in limited colours., black, white and two blues. As usual it didn’t come out quite as I wanted, but I’m always happy to go with the flow, so to speak and I’m reasonably happy with the final result. I might add something once its dry, might just let it sit for a bit til I decide if its done. I used to find it hard to stop when paint was wet, now i find it hard not to keep adding stuff when its dry…. #whenisaworkdone
This is my largest painting so far at 30 x 30 inches. I made sure the wooden bits for tightening canvas were secure but paint still slide over to the middle 😦 Next time I’ll use stiff card underneath to support, and maybe less paint.
I love doing big works but aside from expensive to do by way of canvas and paint/medium needed costing ££’s, its also space consuming. They take longer to dry and use up so much space that I can’t do more painting for several days until they’re dry enough to move out of the way to finish curing.
I picked colours at random, mixed as usual and layered into jug, then poured a la ring pour style. There was so much paint and the canvas was so heavy though that I tilted too much, trying to balance on one corner, and I lost my rings. Next time I’ll use less paint – sod’s law i usually have reverse issue – and get some help to tilt slowly.
It was fun though, I learned a lot from it. This has had one coat minwax varnish and is hanging in my bedroom. I’m not totally happy with it though, so may add something by way of brush painting a feature on it. I’m just not sure what yet. sometimes after living with a work for a while inspiration suddenly strikes, but for this one I’m still waiting!
I’ve given a couple of close ups showing some details below, the gold looks far better in reality than on pc screen. Its always difficult to show metallic paint onscreen I find.