I’d been pretty fed up of all the fails – downside to experiments is that lots of them Just Don’t Work – and while I expect that, its still frustrating. So I’ve had a few days of back to basics, just paint, floetrol, water and silicon. Done a few dirty pours then Monday I wanted to do a negative one with metallic paints and try to mimic peacock tail colours….sadly the green dominated, I used gold, blue, green, yellow and purple, but though I only had minimal green I think the blue and yellow combined too much and I ended with a green painting. I like it – but its not really what I wanted.
I used a bamboo skewer to pull out some of the edges, and to try to shape some circles in the green and dipped in to add a little more colour. the photo is while its still wet – they’re taking ages to dry lately, outside in my shed.
I had a bit of dark blue and purple left, so I decided to try something on the resin coated paper. I tipped it over a piece of card, dropped in a bit of non diluted gold and cerulean blue, spread round with palette knife and pressed another piece of card over the top, pressing down really firmly. then peeled back card. It reminds me of encaustic painting when I use an iron, where as I lift the iron the wax collects in shapes. I carried on with a couple more bits of card, then decided to try it on two bits of board. I scraped out all the purple and gold I had, squeezed on more of both straight from tube, plus cerulean blue and repeated above process. I did it a few times before I was happy. Not sure what I’ll do with these but it was fun 😉 I couldn’t resits a bit of glitter over them too….
Still on the metallic theme i tried a swipe yesterday, its on canvas 20 in by 8 in. I poured lines of colour, dark purple divided into two and metallic medium added to one, same with the cerulean blue, a dark blue, magenta, pale pink, and gold, with some oyster pearl added to the pink and magenta. then white at both ends. And…. swipe – I loved the way it was straight away but the pic is about an hour later and somehow the cells lose some of their definition. I think maybe I have too much paint – I’ll try with less and see if that helps.
I’m hoping the metallic shows up more once its dry, and noticed as it was drying that some of the darker colours and the gold were slowly popping through. I like this one even though it wasn’t as crisp as I’d like.
Today the plan is to clean silicon of some dry ones ready for varnishing. and tidy my work space and add fresh paper….no painting, but somehow I think one might just sneak in 😉
I’ve put a recent card one in a frame and its hanging in my kitchen.