Updates and new works.

house paint and water only, for the white.

cracked when dry, i thought maybe too thick but still cracked when thinner

Well, the housepaint isn’t a great sucess, tried it thick, tried it thin, tried with floetrol, tried with floetrol plus PVA and all produces cracks or separation of paint when dry 😦 I’m having one last try with no extras, just water and silicon. (see below, first pic) Sod’s law that i like the trial one better than the one i did with white artists acrylic ( second pic). Fiddled too much, a huge issue I always have, knowing when to stop!

I’ve had a few failures besides these…and painted over them 😉 Nathan, no 2 grandson who is 12, came to paint again recently. The kids all love doing these, they choose colours and method and pretty much do it themselves now. I love his one here, black, white ( just a little of the housepaint – so far minimal cracking,) yellow and red. he did a flip cup dirty pour with minimal tilting and its gorgeous, reminds me of lava flows and volcanoes. These two were with floetrol, 100% alchohol and dimethicone. I’m using that all the while now instead of the other silicons I’ve tried, works best for me. I use a spray to coat inside cups to help paint pour out too. 

Mine wasn’t such a sucess, and paint has split in a few sections 😦 though doesn’t look as bad as cracking, I notice it but no-one else seems to, they think its part of the effects I wanted !! Still working ion trying to keep that “just out of the cup” look. As you can see this is on top of a “fail” from earlier, same colours, done on a piece of primed MDF. I love working on wood but its heavy, couldn’t lift for a flip cup….and of course needs framing. Still, I’ve some big 4 x 8ft sheets doing nothing in shed so my lovely big brother is going to cut some up for me 🙂
Still undecided about this one I did a few weeks back, will varnish and see then. The metallics made from mica plus floetrol worked well, I poured them over after pouring.

Its been a busy week, and when I have been home its been raining so I can’t get into artshed – raining right now too….yesterday it was fine so I spent the time varnishing the ones i’d removed silicon from on Friday. That’s the downside of silicon, removing it. The dimethicon I’ve been using sits on top of the dry painting and its easy to see it, not so easy to be sure you’re got it all….I spray with a 50-50 mix of washing up liquid and water, wipe off, then rub in talc, and wipe off with alcohol. I hate when varnishing and there’s silicon that resists the varnish.

Advertisements