yesterday I had a peek at Wednesday’s painting and it was drying well, and then I used leftover colours to do another to match. It poured out really well, but of course something always goes wrong, this time I think maybe I’d made paints tiny bit too thin and it ran and spread losing that lovely shape. I did some tilting and pulling through. I like the end result but love love that just poured one. someday I’ll get the paint to stay like that 😉
Wed painting above, from start to final, I haven’t got dry pics yet. They’re taking a while with all the damp we’ve had. You can see green, I didn ‘t add green but guess that’s from the sienna or the orange and the turquoise blue. I used a pale cream instead of white for outer, then orange, burnt sienna, van dyke brown, a pale apricot, turquoise and the frosted blue mica.
Sadly this changed alot, maybe paint a bit too thin? It ran and when i tilted it ended like this. I had fiddled a bit *blush * as I wasn’t happy with parts so I’m kind of undecided about it. see how it dries, can always add more 😉
Here’s my rainbows, not sure if I added them yet? I started with the bottom one to try out, but didn’t like the effect when swiping over the whole, so I swiped each colour individually on the larger one. For some reason when the small one dried the paint had cracked, don’t know why, didn’t do anything different.
Then I tried one without black, again swiping each colour one by one. This
is on an old canvas-board painting I no longer like 😉 No waste here. And on that theme the remnants from each cup plus collected run off made up the two 3 x 3 inch canvasses. Actually I really like them. Of course they all dull when dry so I’ve been trying different varnishes.
Nathan managed to find a wet bit in my non-black rainbow one yesterday, lovely fingermark in the blue…..”err, nan….” he said sheepishly. Bit of alchohol and water and smearing with tip of finger and its barely noticeable.
As always the colours dull as they dry and I’ve been playing with different varnish to see what looks best, which brings out that rich colour again. Still think resin is the king, but price and difficulty is stopping it being my default varnish. I did try a cheaper one than the pebeo i used first time but that doesn’t seem quite as good, however it could be that perhaps I didn’t get the % right, its 2% hardener to resin, whereas the pebeo is 50% and that’s much easier. With tiny amounts its a big thing is you get a tiny little too much or too little hardener, and as the finish I have is not quite that glassy hardness maybe i got a bit too little. I’ve seen a spray that may fix that so that’s on the way too, sadly its very expensive though ;-( as its shipped from US. I don’t know enough about it yet to see if there’s a comparable one in UK.