Due to various reasons I haven’t painted in a while, but an artist friend pointed me in the direction of Acrylic Pours. what fun! its addictive, and not having everything I needed my first goes were a bit of a miss…I hate waiting so I tried substituting some of the materials.
Then some of the real stuff arrived, acrylic pouring medium, floetrol, 70% alchohol, and silicone so I’ve been experimenting with various different additives. I’m using paints I have, mostly heavy body acrylics, and I’ve bought some standard edge canvas. I have a few deep edge but they are expensive when your’e doing several at a time and hard to get the sides covered without spoiling the top I found.
So here goes: first one was on 31st MAy 17 and I used Lukas cerulean 4721, Lukas Chromium 4751, Lukas chromoxide 4754 with Royal and Langernickel essential white. I added Winsor and Newton acrylic flow improver, 70% rubbing alchohol, silicone and water to get right consistency.
- mix paints with 20/30% liquitex flow improver.
- stir well then add 5-10% alchohol
- stir well, add water if needed. thickness is something you learn as you go, I go it too thick, too thin but finally kind of worked out whats right. I added silicone to the white only.
As you can see first one I’d used an old prepainted canvas, didn’t gesso it but poured straight over. I used the dirty pour method, got a few cells to start but paint didn’t stay evenly on canvas.
Next one I used anew canvas. This time I didn’t get holes where paint didn’t stick as before but didn’t get cells either…..Then I realised I’d forgotten to add the silicon….Oops 😉
thrid time’s the charm…or so I hoped. I used another new canvas ( see why I’m looking for some cheaper ones!) Used the same dirty pour method where I layer the colours into a cup and time over in one flip. I got lots of tiny cells but still no mid size to big ones. I think maybe my paint was a bit thick here too. You can see in a close up a few cells
I’ll be back tomorrow with more fun attempts.